Playground Maintenance Technician
A Comprehensive Training Program for Managing Safe Playgrounds
Well-maintained playgrounds reduce the severity and number of children’s injuries.
The goal of the PMT is to make playgrounds safer places for children’s active play and healthy risk-taking.
The two-day Playground Maintenance Technician Program (PMT) focuses on practical playground maintenance practices, inspection principles and best practices in making repairs. This program does not focus on play theory or memorizing standards. Course modules explore the maintenance challenges associated with the common materials found in playgrounds, including concrete, metal, wood, plastics, fasteners and various surfacing materials. Through videos and case studies, participants learn about the types of playground inspections, how to repair damaged equipment and associated legal considerations. A virtual playground offers participants the opportunity to apply newly learned skills.
- Learn by doing! Hands on learning which combines discussion and virtual environments to understand playground maintenance tasks
- Learn about materials! Learn how to maintain playground equipment made of metal, plastic, wood and concrete
- Learn about safety! Understand how to take damaged equipment out of service safely, keep proper records, and identify potential legal issues related to playground maintenance
- Learn about surfaces! Learn how best to maintain unitary and loose-fill surfaces as well as fasteners and connectors
- Resources to take back to your office! Receive a 250-page textbook, workbook, and upon completion, a Playground Maintenance Technician Certificate
- Cost Effective! Train front-line maintenance staff at an affordable price
- Ensure your equipment lasts through its useful life! Improve playground user safety and prolong the useful life of equipment
Frequently Asked Questions
Work with the Eppley Institute for Parks and Public Lands at Indiana University to schedule a Playground Maintenance Technician training program in your area. The Eppley Institute will make sure your agency has the tools to make the training a success.
- Demonstrate your commitment to provide quality playgrounds
- Improve safety and reduce liability on your playgrounds
- Certified instructors provided by the Eppley Institute at Indiana University
- The PMT program does not require a physical playground, all training is conducted in a virtual environment
Hosting Option vs Partner Option
The Eppley Institute understands it can be difficult to secure the support and commitment for a training opportunity. We offer a host option, where the cost per person is less, but your agency is responsible for registration, catering, and other logistics. The partner option is more per person, but the Eppley Institute is responsible for most logistical items. (See What does the PMT Cost). Additionally, many host sites seek successful sponsorships from insurance representatives, playground equipment and surfacing companies, or local foundations and associations to defray program costs.
Host Option Responsibilities
- Your agency promotes the program using a flyer template provided by the Eppley Institute
- Your agency manages registrations, reserves a training location, and arranges/pays for lunch
- Your agency is required to assist the PMT instructor the day before and during the two-day training
- Your agency can generate revenue after covering program costs
- Your agency promotes the program using an online registration system and promotional materials provided by the Eppley Institute
- Your agency reserves a training location and is required to assist the PMT instructor the day before and during the two-day training
“Because of the PMT, I have brought our playground program a long way over the past few months. We still have a ways to go but are definitely on the right track to developing a comprehensive program. I can’t thank the instructor enough for their direction and insight!”
Doug Sanders, Champaign County Forest Preserve, Illinois
“After a 15-year career in maintaining playground equipment, I learned a lot in this class and found it to be very focused on practical day-to-day playground maintenance topics that come up all the time. The class information and the comprehensive 250-page reference book will be very helpful on the job.”
Course evaluation comment
“This course provided me with my first formal education on how to inspect, maintain and address playground safety concerns. Too bad I couldn’t have taken it earlier in my career.”
Course evaluation comment
“The Playground Maintenance Technician certificate course is an excellent training program and instructional format. This subject has been sorely lacking in professional training opportunities for the parks industry, and I am extremely thankful I now have the educational resources to send my staff for proper training…
This Playground Maintenance Technician course covers a totally different aspect of playgrounds from the Certified Playground Safety Inspector course…and I know my agency and our residents will benefit through our improved playground maintenance.”
Roger K. Scott, CPSI
Retired Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation
Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm (EST)
CompanyEppley Institute for Parks & Public Lands at Indiana University
Address501 N. Morton St. Suite #101 Bloomington, IN 47404
Office (812) 855-3095
Fax (812) 856-5600
Get in Touch
Have more questions?